Healthy cooking is in nowadays when people are becoming more and more conscious of what they eat. Of course, eating healthy is one of the important things that you have to remember always if you don't want to suffer later from diseases and other health problems.
Indeed, opting and switching into cooking healthy recipes can be of big help for your health. If you are starting to have that change in your lifestyle into a healthy one, you can actually start from small steps. Here are simple tips that you might find useful in your quest to stay healthy with your food.
- Make sure to get fresh ingredients for your recipes. If you are looking for the healthiest, go for organic vegetables, as this would mean no pesticides or chemicals that can ruin your healthy recipes. If organic vegetables and ingredients are not available in your area, make sure to wash your vegetables thoroughly before using them to get rid of chemical residues.
- Cut down on salt. This can be one of the important tips in cooking healthy meals. You can also increase or add more herbs to your recipe as an alternative to salt and you will be surprised that it does not show any change in flavor.
- Increase vegetables into your diet. Fruits and vegetables are great sources of nature's vitamins, minerals and many other important nutrients needed for the body. Eat in variety as you can never get most of the nutrients you want in just a single vegetable or fruit.
- Avoid fats as possible. Go for more fibrous foods. If you can't totally avoid fats, go for the unsaturated ones. If you need to use oil, use olive oil or canola oil as these are the healthier forms of oils. Check labels of processed foods as well. These are places where saturated fats may be hiding.
- Find alternatives. If you do not want to put meat on your cooking, you can also find alternatives to meat. Among the healthy alternatives to meat are soy protein, or TVP, also known as textured vegetable protein.
There's nothing quite like a hot bowl of chili to take the chill off your bones. When it's cold outside, you need something good and hearty to warm you up inside. But that doesn't mean you can' find a healthy dinner recipe to prepare this favorite family treat. The one I'm going to share with you, takes a little time, but prepares enough for 10. It's great for serving to a small crowd but I make it for my family of five and we can easily eat on it for two days.
This is a salmon dish that Hollywood actor and cowboy icon Clint Eastwood is very fond of and orders it specifically from room service at the luxurious Hotel Royal Deauville in France. Here, Chef Henri Morel shows us how to make this simple yet elegant salad recipe for Royal filet of smoked salmon with Mesclun salad and a walnut vinaigrette mixed with pimpernel herbs.
For this healthy recipes, you need delicately smoked Norwegian or Scottish Royal Salmon, which you can buy in the deli or grocery sealed and packed with a guarantee of freshness. This kind of salmon is cured with only little salt and trimmed of its fat so you can really taste the natural silkiness of the pink salmon with a softly smoky flavor that melts in your tongue like butter. The smoked salmon is cut into medallions approximately one centimeter thick for a perfect bite.
For vinaigrette with walnut oil: 1 tablespoon walnut oil 2 tablespoons peanut oil 1 tablespoon Xeres vinegar salt, pepper 20 medallions smoked royal salmon fillet (about 1/10th inch thick) 4 handful mesclun (chervil, arugula, leafy lettuces and endive in equal proportions) Paris mushrooms (white and cut into sticks) 2 tablespoons burnet herb marinated in walnut oil 1/2 yellow lemon 1 leek white cut into filaments and fried
1 Cut the royal filet of salmon into medallions approximately one centimeter thick. Slice Paris mushrooms into thin sticks, using only the white parts. Cut leeks into julienne slices and fry in hot oil, set aside.
2 To make the salad dressing, mix walnut oil, vinegar, and chopped pimpernel herbs. You can also substitute pimpernel with coriander leaves for a stronger flavor. Season with salt and pepper.
3 Take the mesclun salad and put it in a dish. Then add a few drops of walnut vinaigrette and toss the salad. Season with salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms strips and toss well. Place salad in a heap in the center of the serving platter. Sprinkle walnut and pimpernel vinaigrette on top and drip around the salad. Arrange the salmon pieces around the mesclun. Put the julienne leeks on top of the salad dome so it looks like a bird’s nest. Serve.