Why a diabetic would not enjoy the occasional cake? With this recipe, diabetics can
Diabetics really aren't supposed to indulge in a lot of desserts, due to the fact that they are normally high in sugar and fat. However, now a days you can find some tasty diabetic cake recipes and other desserts that have taken the special dietary(galette aux amandes) needs of the diabetic into account.
1 Pour the raisins in a saucepan and cover with water. Cook over low heat until raisins are soft. Drain excess water and mix with raisins applesauce, eggs, artificial sugar and cooking oil. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients, stirring well.
2 Pour batter into a greased pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. for about 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
* Diabetic cake recipes can be found in diabetic cookbooks as well as on recipe websites online.
* If you want to use a traditional cake recipe, either cut the sugar amount by about 25% or use a sugar substitute like Splenda instead. You can also replace part of the white flour with whole wheat flour or whole meal. You can replace about 25-50%. Any more than that could impair the cake's flavor. For heavier or dense cakes you can also replace about 25% of the white flour with almond flour or ground almonds, although this is not well suited for lighter cakes.
* Use a sugar free dessert topping for flavor.
* Even when a cake or other dessert is low in sugar, diabetics should still eat small servings of a dessert.
* Diabetic cake recipes should not contain fruit juice, which is high in sugar.