Waking up with freezing rain and temperatures below freezing warrants a day for a steaming hot bowl of soup. We have all grown up with our favorite version of Vegetable Beef Soup. Soup(recette poularde) is one of those dishes that taste even better the next day. When I make Vegetable Beef Soup I start it early in the morning and let the beef cook most of the day in the rich broth, it produces amazing flavor.
When making Vegetable Beef Soup you can use any vegetables that you like. Some people choose corn, peas, green beans with potatoes and carrots added. In our home we have potatoes, turnips, carrots and cabbage. The secret to Vegetable Beef Soup is your broth, if your broth is bland your soup will be bland. There is nothing as heart warming than coming in from the freezing cold and smelling the wonder aroma of the broth from your soup.
-1/4 cup olive oil -2-3 pounds rump roast cut into chunks -1 large onion, diced -4 cups beef broth (made from 5-6 tablespoons beef base and 4 cups water) -1 14ounce can of tomato sauce -1 tablespoon oregano -1 tablespoon marjoram -1 tablespoon thyme -1 tablespoon basil -3-4 bay leaves -Salt and Pepper, to taste -6 large carrots, diced -3-4 turnips -4-6 potatoes, diced -1 medium to large head of cabbage, shredded
1. In a heavy-bottom stock pot add 1/4 cup olive oil on medium-high heat. Add onions and roast chunks. Cook until meat is brown.
2. Mix together the beef broth and tomato sauce. Add to the meat mixture; and turn heat down to medium.
3. Add all spices. Add extra water if needed. Make sure and keep the meat covered in liquid. Cook 3-5 hours, make sure meat is very tender.
4. Add carrots, turnips, potatoes and cabbage. Cook on medium until done.
5. Once the vegetables are tender you can turn the heat to medium-low and allow for the flavors to continue to meld together.